Please note that as of June 15, the Peer Support Offices are open for appointments only (no drop-ins). Please call 902-628-3666 (Charlottetown) or 902-838-2489 (Montague) for an appointment.
WHAT IS PEER SUPPORT?
Peer support us the process of disclosing personal lived experience and recovery history to provide support, guidance, and inspire hope for others experiencing similar situations with their mental health.
CMHA-PEER SUPPORT PROGRAM
CMHA-PEI currently employs four Peer Support Specialists who offer the following services:
- hosting peer support groups
- one-on-one sessions
- accompanying clients to appointments
- advocacy for youth in the school system
WHY MEET WITH A PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST?
- they empathize with the struggle and emotional pain that may accompany a mental illness, and share their thoughts and insight on the path to recovery
- they provide support to clients through all program areas that CMHA offers such as advocacy, housing resources, suicide prevention, coping strategy, support groups etc…
- they can help bridge the gap between the client and the services that they need from CMHA, community mental health services and other agencies
GOALS OF PEER SUPPORT
- Inspiring hope, mental wellness, and self-determination
- Empowering peers through personal disclosure, and encouraging self-help
- Providing guidance through one-on-one and group talk
- Identifying needs, and facilitating community resources
- Advocating for accessibility to mental health services
- Promoting mental health for all Islanders
CMHA ONLINE “STILL HERE” PEER SUPPORT GROUP
The Peer support group is intended to be a safe, open environment to support each other in coping with mental health challenges. To adhere to public health restrictions, anyone interested in participating in the Still Here group is required to register in advance. This can be done through the Facebook page (click here to join) or by emailing email@example.com . All are welcome.
SCHEDULE + GROUP INFORMATION:
Every Monday 11:30-1:30 pm
Every Second Wednesday 7-8:30 pm
A general mental health check-in style group. No referral or ongoing commitment needed. Just attend when you need to.